Thursday, April 17, 2014

More Baby Recipes

I have a few more recipes to share that Fiona has enjoyed. I feel I am going a bit over-board with this, but then I think, nope, we all have to eat. No reason an 8 month (!) old can't enjoy flavours and try new things. On the other hand, I don't want to be a mom that makes my kid a separate meal every single day, but then she's only 8 months and just has 3 teeth and is only working on the fine motor skills, so she CAN'T eat some of the things we normally eat without modifications....and this is how mom-guilt starts!

Onward. Recipes, right.

Carrot Muffins (adapted from The Baby Led Weaning Cookbook)

These little morsels are actually on the sweet side. I froze most of the batch, because what baby can eat 24 muffins?

1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 large carrot, grated (about 3/4 c? I don't know, use as much as you want)
3 T milk
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce

Combine ingredients. Bake in mini muffin tins at 375 for about 12 minutes. Makes 24 mini muffins.

*I borrowed the Baby Led Weaning Cookbook from the library. There are a few good ideas in it, but mostly just regular food, but British. There are some really great BLW websites out there; I just discovered THIS ONE. Going to make the pea fritters for lunch today!

Pear Sauce

Fiona LOVES pear sauce. I spread it on French toast for her, or we spoon it to her by itself. It really is tasty and I should make a bigger batch because I always want to eat it too!

2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored & cut into pieces
splash of lemon juice
sprinkle of cinnamon
about 1/2 c water (more water makes it more saucy)

Combine everything in a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until pears are soft & mushy, about 25-30 minutes. Blitz with a stick blender (or mash up however you like to mash things). Makes about 1 cup of sauce. Keeps in the fridge for probably about 1 week, but it'll never last that long!

Chicken Parmesan Bites

Have you ever bought and used ground chicken before? It's so gross. Sticky and yuck looking. But just go with it. These actually taste good if you can get past the gross out factor.

1 lb ground chicken
1/2 can salt-free diced tomatoes, mostly drained (or you can use fresh, I just didn't have any)
grated Parmesan cheese, about 1/4 c? (I didn't measure, just grated it in)
1 egg, beaten
some rolled oats to make it less sticky
basil and garlic powder as you like

Just make into nugget size balls/fingers. I think I did about 2 T per nugget. Bake in 375 oven for about 30 minutes or until meat is cooked. Top with more Parmesan cheese if you like! Freeze some for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment