Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Baby Recipes

We have been doing baby-led weaning (blw) with Fiona for about a month now. It's not really weaning, it's just baby-led feeding. There is a book out there on the subject, which is actually quite helpful. It's easy because there are no purees involved, nor spoon feeding (though we do sometimes with things like yogurt and applesauce). Basically, you give baby food, baby eats it. It's been really cool to watch Fiona learn about food, taste things and figure out how to eat it. She definitely has some favorites already! 

Anyway, here are some recipes for my own reference and maybe for yours too if your kid is just learning about food. It's kinda fun to experiment and make little finger foods for her! 

Baby Pancakes (this one is from Hillary. Thanks!)
1 mashed up banana
1 egg
some cinnamon
some vanilla

Mix up and cook like pancakes. (Duh). 

Baked Oatmeal Apple Bars
1 c oatmeal
3/4 c milk (I used coconut, but almond or cow's milk would be good too) (Also, I didn't measure, but this seems close)
1 grated apple
1 egg, beaten
2 TBSP veg oil (again, I didn't measure)
cinnamon

Mix and spread in a greased 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars (I got 12 Fiona sized bars). They will be soft and perfect for a baby to eat! Store in fridge.

Tuna Cakes (another Hillary recipe)
1 can tuna, well drained
1 egg, beaten
1/2 apple, grated (or less)
some cheese

Mix & make little patties or balls. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Makes roughly 12.

*Just a note, Canada Food Guide doesn't recommend that babies have more than one serving of tuna a month, because of mercury levels in the fish. Use your common sense when feeding your baby!

Salmon Cakes
1 can Sockeye salmon, well drained and free from bones & skin
1 egg
2 baby rice crackers, crumbled (I used Baby Mum-mums. Totally optional, I just happened to have them on hand!)

(Here's where you see a trend starting:) Mix & shape into mini patties or balls. Bake at 350 for 15-20 mins. 

I have also been trying to make a good potato and zucchini pancake thing, but haven't have great success so far with that particular combo. It always ends up too eggy or too wet. I'll keep experimenting! 

Can you think of more combo's to try out? I've got quinoa on the brain, so am going to try coming up with something that Fiona would like with that. Also, (another Hillary recipe) I am going to make butternut squash/apple/pork patties. 

I know Fiona can also have one ingredient food, and she does. Girl loves ground beef and cheese and apples and cucumbers and kiwi and strawberries and.....the list goes on! But it's (relatively) easy and fun to make flavor combinations, so why not! 


3 comments:

  1. Hillary4:27 PM

    So much fun! I'm going to try the apple oatmeal bars. Elsie likes straight up oatmeal with prunes and yogurt. She also ate goat curry today, so there is that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been introduced to baby-led weaning in the last little while. After feeding my other 3 kids the traditional purees I'm excited to try this method for my 4th time around :) Thx for sharing the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and if you come up with a good quinoa recipe, let me know!

    ReplyDelete