Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Soup's On

About a year ago (maybe more??!!), my parents were at our place visiting and I (as usual) hadn't really thought about food and what we were going to eat while they were here. Having neglected to do any sort of grocery shopping before they arrived, I had a pretty limited food selection in the house. My mom & I were able to russell up a pot of soup for lunch one day, and it's since become a go-to meal in our house. I actually even craved it in the early days of my pregnancy. I don't know why, the spices maybe??

Easy & delicious, here's the recipe for what I like to call

Fake Soup

You'll need:
 - carrot
 - onion
 - celery
 - any other aromatic veg that you've got in your fridge. Tonight I had some leftover bell peppers so chopped those up and added them.
 - Italian sausage, mild or spicy, whatever you like. I try to always stock up with a few packs of this when it's on sale. I like the un-sausaged version, but you can easily take the meat out of the casing if you can't find the sausage filling on it's own. 
 - chicken or veggie stock, your own or store bought
 - can of tomato soup (I accidentally opened mushroom soup once and used that instead, which turned out pretty good too!)
 - frozen corn or beans or peas. Whatever you have!

Method:
Chop up the aromatic veg and saute them in a bit of oil until soft. 
Add the sausage and stir around until browned. The beauty of using the Italian sausage is that it's already seasoned so deliciously, you don't need to add anything else unless you want to! 
Add the stock. I never measure, I just use whatever leftover in the fridge I have from some other meal. You can add a bit of water too to top 'er up to the amount you want. 
Add the canned soup and your frozen veggies. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until you are ready to eat! 

If I am feeling ambitious, I'll make cornbread to go with this soup, but good old bread & butter is tasty too! 

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hillary6:50 PM

    I basically made this exact soup tonight, minus the sausage, adding green beans and a can of diced tomatoes. Oh, and alphabit pasta. It was yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:58 PM

    I remember this soup, Erica. It was so good. Hill, good idea to add the pasta too.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always like a new soup recipe to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete