Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Four Years of Awesome

I love being an Auntie.

Helen is turning 4 this week, and I've been thinking about when she was born and how exciting of a time that was. How does a tiny little baby bring such joy and wonder? It's amazing.

I realize it may be strange for me to write about her in this way, considering I am not her parent, but man, I love that kid something fierce!

On the day she was born, Dan's mom called me at work to say "It's a girl! They named her Helen!" I was SO excited to go meet this baby (and was also a little puzzled at her name - now I can't imagine her being anyone else! Good choice M&K!). I had no idea of the ocean of love I would have for her!

Our family went from 10 normal adults, to 10 normal adults who could only talk about this new little bundle. Seriously, I don't know what we did together or talked about before she was born! Not to say my nephews haven't also done this, but with Helen being the first, she wormed her way into everybody's heart and hasn't moved an inch since then! In the months before she was mobile, family get together's had Helen laying on the floor surrounded by adoring fans. Actually, even when she started to move she was surrounded by adoring fans, cheering her on and loving on her.

It has been so incredible to see her grow and learn and discover the world. She tells stories and uses logic and tries to reason her way into or out of anything. (It's pretty entertaining!). Her imagination is wild and girl can tell a joke and tease you right back. She most definitely has a mind of her own, colours in the lines and loves My Little Ponies. Carries cats around the farm, rocks the gumboots and shorts combo, and pretends she's a unicorn.

Pretty much the coolest 4 year old I know.

Happy Birthday Helenator. I love you.

November 2009

5 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, Erica. I totally understand the love for a niece or nephew - they DO have a way of worming their way into your heart and never leaving! You must be the sweetest auntie in the world. Luckiest babies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Helen! I haven't met her, but always feel like I know her from your blogging! I can't believe she is 4! Will she have a theme birthday party? What will you get her/make her as a gift?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:54 AM

    Happy Birthday Helen.
    Well I barely know the dear little soul, but I love her too and look forward to seeing her and you, the best auntie ever!
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malorie7:23 AM

    You have a way with words Erica. Helen is so lucky to have you as an aunt. What a great job it is to be an aunt, I can so relate. Happy Birthday Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hillary6:03 AM

    Happy birthday Helen!
    You are such a good auntie. I can't wait till I have kids so you can be their auntie too!!

    ReplyDelete