Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pretty Good Muffins!

Over the weekend I tried a new recipe. I really had to muster up the energy to do that - I've been seriously slacking in the food department lately. The ingredient combo intrigued me though so I gave them a try!

I found the recipe here, but I will post it here for your clicking convenience!

Sweet Potato Peach Muffins

1 cup mashed sweet potato (I bought one medium sized one and roasted it, then mashed it up)
1 peach
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (check the ethnic aisle of your grocery store for the smallest can)
2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
2 eggs
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla

Puree the sweet potato together with the peach. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix it up.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix up as for muffins, folding in nuts at the end.

Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

The site (Green Plate Rule) that this comes from has lots of other recipes that use natural sugars and whole, unprocessed foods.  It's interesting to peruse and get meal and snack ideas too!

5 comments:

  1. Hillary4:08 PM

    But were they good? You didn't say! (Unless your title says it all...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the title does say it all! They are pretty good. (Seemed to me a lot of work for one batch of muffins...if you had leftover sweet potatoes it would be a lot less work. But who ever has leftover sweet potatoes? Also, my dishwasher was busted, so I had to wash everything by hand which maybe made them feel like a lot more work than they were.)
      Conclusion: Yes, they are good!

      Delete
  2. Yum-- I'll have to try these! And I actually do often have sweet potatoes in my fridge during the winter months... they are generally a veggie most kids enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we love sweet potatoes too, just eat the all and never have leftovers!

      Delete
  3. These sound yummy..did you add the nuts? I think that would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete