Friday, March 30, 2012

Welcome to the World!

My friend Rachel had a baby! A girl! And that means it's gift giving time! I put this cute little gift together for the new family, perfect for delivering to the hospital and celebrating with them their new arrival!


I would say my usual M.O. when it comes to gifts, especially for babies & new parents, is not to go very practical. My go-to gift is this MEC backpack (I learned that from my mom)! Because you know what? Everyone else does practical! And the parents are gonna get the kid what it needs anyway, and would be less likely to splurge on something that is completely cute but entirely overpriced or useless (like shoes for a newborn, for example). So it falls to people other than the parents to get awesome stuff!


I started with a Dad's Rootbeer 4 pack. Dan & Dave (the new dad) often gift each other beer for birthdays & other random occasions, but since it seems wrong to bring beer to a hospital (can you? I have no idea!), this was perfect. Also, Dad's. Obvious!

Next, I took out two of the rootbeers and we enjoyed them without the company of our friends! (Sorry, friends!)

Then I went to my gift stash and pulled out one of the crocheted hats I made a few weeks ago, and a strand of Chewbeads (which I also try to have on hand, since they are my other go-to gift! Unfortunately, the store where I was buying them went out of business, so this is the last one from my stash. I guess I'll have to buy them online from now on!).

For the fourth compartment, I paid a visit to a local florist, Simply Perfect Flowers, and got this adorable arrangement made up. And when I was offered glitter sprinkled on top, of course I said yes! Let me tell you, nothing can brighten your day like stepping into a flower shop!

Compact, portable, creative and fun way to say "Congratulations!"

10 comments:

  1. Love it! I wish you lived close to me to give me something similar when little bitty baby pops out in July! I love the Dads rootbeer gift...might have to steal that idea. Where do you buy it? Grocery store? Also, what are chewbeads? They look fashionable! But are they for chewing??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grocery store had the rootbeer. Do you guys have Save On in the martimes? That's where I got it. Chewbeads are baby safe necklaces that can be chewed on, tugged on, played with, put in the dishwasher. Mom's wear them, but it's fine for babies to play with too.

      Delete
    2. Do you reply to me often like this? I didn't know about it! Anyway, I looked up Chewbeads and they look so cool! I think I will want one. I'll have to order online because there isn't anywhere here that sells them in store.

      Delete
    3. Yes. Yes I do.

      Delete
  2. Hillary2:20 PM

    Can I be your friend, and you bring me gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malorie8:54 PM

    Love, love, love. I can't wait until the next person I know has a baby so I can do something creative like this. Although my go-to gift is a shape-O ball from Tupperware, you know the ones we all had as kids, so it won't exactly fit into this nice arragement. But, once again, I find myself inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the shape-o ball idea! Might have to add that to my repertoire!

      Delete
  5. Malorie8:56 PM

    OH, and you are right, we parents don't splurge often enough.

    ReplyDelete