Sunday, February 12, 2012

Camera Wrist Strap How-To


I spent the afternoon creating a wrist strap for my camera. I had spied some online that I liked, but I didn't want to spend $25 to buy one, especially when I figured I could probably make my own for free.





Source: etsy.com via Erica on Pinterest


This was my inspiration.

Luckily, I had everything on hand for my project!

You will need:
 - ugly old or new camera strap
 - fabric scraps in your choice of colours (I used a cotton print for the outside, and flannel for the inside)
 - metal or nylon strap slide, or 2 D-rings, or 2 chain links (I took my slide off of a bag I never use - see below, and I also dug around in our garage and found some chain, which I used for the second strap)
 - interfacing (optional. I had some stiff fusible webbing, so I just used that)
 - sewing machine, thread, iron, seam ripper, scissors, etc

(Like this)

Step 1: Using the seam ripper, take the leather & nylon ends of the camera strap off of the strap part. 


Step 2: Cut fabric strips. I made mine about 14" long x 2.5" wide. I used the old strap as a guide for width; I knew I wanted my wrist strap to finish at 1.5" wide so that the edges would line up perfectly with the nylon ends. Adding in 1" for a seam allowance (0.5" each side), you end up with 2.5". As for length, I wanted it to be slightly adjustable, but not too long, so just wrapped the fabric around my wrist for a comfortable fit, and added a bit. If you are using interfacing, cut out a piece the same size or slightly smaller than your fabric. Fuse webbing to the wrong side of one of the fabric pieces.


Step 3: Sew the strap. (See my photos below!) (1) With right sides together, using a 0.5" seam allowance, stitch down one long side of the fabric strip.  If you have sew-in interfacing, now would be the time to sew that in as well. Stitch down the other long side. (2) Now you have a tube. (3) Turn so fabric is right side out. Yeah, it's gonna be tough since it's so narrow! It will go eventually! (4) Press the strap flat. (5) Top stitch down the long sides of the strap.


Step 4: Now it's time to attach the slide. You could skip this if you wanted, and just sew both raw (short) ends of the fabric strap between the leather ends. If you are using a slide, thread one end of the strap around the middle bar. Turn over the raw end and sew to the strap, encasing the middle bar. (Slides usually come with directions on how to install them!) Here's how I used two rings to make it adjustable:

1. Thread the strap through both rings. Fold fabric over to hide raw edge. 
2. Stitch folded section to strap.
3. Making a loop, thread the strap again through both rings.
4. Going over the first ring, thread strap back through the second ring.

Step 5: Make the strap loop small so you have some room to sew. Insert the raw end of fabric strap into the leather/nylon end. Sew through all layers, following the old stitch lines. 




Step 6: Attached to camera! 


I actually made two wrist straps, since after the first one I thought I should write a tutorial on how to make your own! Since I only need one, I am going to give the other one away! If you'd like to have one of these, just tell me in the comments which one one you like better, and I'll randomly pick a winner and send it on!! Attaches easily to any SLR camera - I don't think it would work for a point & shoot - sorry!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Erica, they look great! You continually amaze me with your craftiness and sewing skill, of which I have none! I like the fabrics you used. Also, I like the top you are wearing in the picture of you taking a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary7:16 PM

    Did not know you had an SLR again. Thought the thieves took it.
    I don't want to win it, but I do like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Good trick to pull through tight inside-out fabric.... use a crochet hook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Genius. If we lived closer together, I would convince you to host craft night....

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! You're amazing. Enjoy that new camera! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did anyone win one? I love the pinkish orange one! Great job!

    ReplyDelete