Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taking Stock

Luckily, Dan & I were able to make it to a grocery store before Snowmagedon 2012 hit too hard. Still, this got me thinking about my pantry staples and what meals I could really make if we were housebound for a week (which, basically, was this past week), and then I got thinking about pantry staples, and how I never consistently have all the ingredients I need for something!! Can you help me out? What do your pantries always contain? I know it really depends on what kind of food you cook, so this may be an exercise in futility, but I am curious!

Things I always have:
 - eggs (This is kind of cheating. Eggs are a fridge item, but since there are a kajillion eggs pretty much out my front door at any given time, I thought I would include them.)
 - flour
 - sugar
 - baking supplies (baking soda, powder, cornstarch, cocoa, oats, etc)
 - pasta
 - rice
 - canned soup (tomato & mushroom)
 - frozen veggies (corn, peas, broccoli & cauliflower)
 - frozen fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries)
 - crackers

Things I always need/want and never have:
 - chicken stock (I really do buy this, but then I use it up and never have it on hand. I should learn to buy 2 at a time)
 - ginger (not ground as a spice. Is there even a way to have this "fresh" without it going gross?)
 - canned pineapple
 - pasta sauce (as a dry mix or a jar)
 - potatoes that aren't baby potatoes
 - chickpeas
 - beans (again, something I do buy semi-regularly, but then use up and don't replace as I should)

And what about your freezers? Like I wrote above, I keep some frozen fruits & veg, but I would much prefer to buy fresh meat, so I tend not to stock up on proteins very often, unless there is something good on sale. And don't get me started on frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts. Ugh. I don't want to eat that!

So tell me, what am I missing? What are your go-to meals when the fridge is bare?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:46 AM

    Hahaha... to chicken breast! What about canned tomatoes in the pantry? I seem to think if I don't have those then I can't make anything. For sure broth of some sort is handy to have. And I do enjoy a freezer full of meat, not that I have one, but if, by chance, I was presented with a freezer full of meat, I would smile!
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hillary9:20 AM

    This post is like reading a foreign language to me! We RARELY have what we need to make anything, and I am pretty sure if we were stuck in our house for a long period of time we would be hungry. Also, I always forget what I have, so often I buy things when I already have them (which maybe helps me create a pantry), not to mention we have barely any space to store food. And, our go to meals when the fridge is bare often involve our friendly cooks at the restaurants that we always go to. (Or cereal and chicken fingers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary, I would love to not have to stock up on stuff! If I had a market out my front door, I would be there everyday! Same goes for go-to meals. See also: having to drive everywhere!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete