Monday, December 05, 2011

Just do it.

I have been reading some blogs by women who are participating in a blogging group called Reverb Broads, where there is a daily writing prompt for what to write about. I follow this group on facebook and thought when there was a prompt that I thought I had something to say about, I would try to do it. So, today's prompt: 


Day 5: What is the one thing you finally did this year that you always wanted or said you were going to do, but in your heart of hearts never thought you would actually do?


I think my whole "Not New Years Resolution" list came about because of this very reason; do things already!! I know I am one to talk about projects I want to take on, and about places I want to go, and I definitely imagine "one day". 


The one item on my list that I really did not ever think would happen (and I know there are some that aren't crossed off yet, and it's December!) was to see one College friend that doesn't live close by. There were too many factors that depended on other people for this one; someone would have to travel, travel isn't always affordable or accessible, there are only so many long weekends in a year...the list goes on. I never thought it would happen. 


But at the beginning of this year, I threw out a little invitation to two of my closest friends from my college days, just to see what would happen, if they were at all interested. I mean, we all have lives that we live separately from one another, we no longer share a dorm or a room or classes on a daily basis, and we hadn't seen each other in at least 6 years. If this worked, we would be coming from 3 different directions to meet in the middle. I felt the odds were slim. I suggested that we meet in Edmonton at Easter, thinking "Well, if nothing happens, that's ok, maybe some other time." 


But it did happen. And it was spectacular! It was like no time had really passed at all. We pretty much picked up where we left off, and you really don't come by friendships like that in life too often. The best part for me was, I think it kind of opened the door to seeing a lot of other long-distance friends this year too. Or re-connecting with old friends who do live close by - I went for lunch with an old friend, and we talked for 3 hours (and could have kept talking)! In fact, today I am heading state side to meet with a high school friend. I can't wait to see her and catch up on the last few years of her life. I think I (finally) realized "You know what, this is awesome, and it's not that hard to just make the effort and go do it!" And it's been so rewarding keeping up those relationships. Much more rewarding than anything else on that list of mine! 


(So, Shan & Chris, get ready for May, because it's  happening!)

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, girl! So glad you made that trip happen. I'm inspired!!
    I loved catching up with you in October. It was honestly a highlight of my semester. :) Can't wait to do it again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me oh so happy! I'm already excited for May!

    ReplyDelete