Saturday, October 08, 2011

The Internet is Never Wrong!

You guys, I have a problem. Do you know what's missing from the photo below? 

If you said "back splash!" then you are right. It's loooooonnnng over due, especially since we've lived here for almost 2 years.


The problem is I don't know what to pick. I went to a tile store today and looked and looked and looked at samples. I've also been looking in magazines and online and I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to back splash ideas. And I am not sure if I love any of them. 

I like the idea of tile, but I also like the idea of something a little different. Like hexagonal tile, or penny tile, or stainless steel. For a while I was lobbying for red glass subway tile.  Also, our cabinets are off-white, so I don't think a plain white should be in the running. Internet, tell me what to do!

Here are the samples I brought home today.
Option 1 - Stainless Steel. I like this a lot, but I don't know if I like the price tag at almost $40/sq. ft. Ouch. Also, if we end up installing this ourselves, cutting the stainless steel part of the tile makes me nervous. Has anyone done this with success? Would the small size of the tiles make the splash too busy?

Option 2 - White Glass & Stone Mosaic. I am leaning toward this one right this second. It's hard to tell in this photo, but some of the tiles are opaque and some are clear, and then of course, some are stone. I like that the white is not so pure that it would make our cabinets look dirty, and I also like that the stone pieces break it up a bit, but it's not too busy. 

Option 3 - Greeny/Brown Glass & Stone Mosaic. Maybe this is the obvious choice given how we've done the rest of our house? Should we branch out and NOT put something green on the walls? You tell me.

Option 4 - Grey Glass & Stone Mosaic. I've held this up in different spots on the kitchen walls, and I like it in some places and not in others. It doesn't work great with the cabinet colour, but I do like it with our paint colour.

From the top down, options 1-4. 

What's the verdict?

4 comments:

  1. Josh and I both vote the White Stone and Glass Mosaic. I also like the stainless steel, but you've already got the stainless appliances....and the brown stone is too much the same as your counter/wall colour and I think you need more contrast. Yes, white it is, in our opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hillary1:00 PM

    I like the greeny/brown glass one. I am a sucker for those colors. Are you settled on the subway tile or would you do something different- like circles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Option 2 first, option 3 second. I love #2, nice and bright and crisp but with the stone... I think it would look very classy.
    love mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Okay, Abbey and I have just had a discussion about this.... Initially I voted the stainless steel, but after checking that your appliances are the same, think it might be a little much... So, we are both in agreement on number 2. But really, they are all lovely.. Your kitchen is so beautiful. I confess. I am jealous.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete