Monday, June 13, 2011

The Reveal!

Yesterday was Dan's 27th birthday. Remember when I mentioned that I had a super awesome project on the go for his birthday gift? Well, here it is!


I built him a leather & oak bench/side table!



I found basic plans for this project on Design Sponge and built it on my days off. Dan thought I bought him a line trimmer! I was scrambling around for leather to make the top, and was scouring craiglist, the rest of the internet and local shops to no avail. Then Dan's mom did a big cleanout of her sewing closet, and much to my delight, put in the giveaway pile some cutouts for a leather vest! I can only imagine who wanted a leather vest (cough Dave cough), but I think this leather looks much better as a table than as a vest!

Happy Birthday Dan!

(Also, see that chair that Dan is sitting on? I found it on craigslist, and have been thinking about painting the wood part a dark grey/charcoal colour, and replacing the lime green fabric with a red tone. I like the chair as it is, but I don't feel it really goes with the rest of our furniture. What say you?)

5 comments:

  1. you are my handy-woman hero!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:19 PM

    What say I??? I say you are amazingly talented! So impressive. And I have no opinion on the re-do on the chair. Looks great to me. If I were standing in your living room I am sure I would have an opinion to offer, however....
    Looking forward to seeing you in July!

    Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillary1:28 PM

    You are Awesome! And so is that thing you made! So impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great job on the side table and leather weaving. I am totally impressed and I'm sure Dan is too. I am intrigued by the leather vest idea. I really like the red fabric/grey paint idea for chair. DO IT. Love you and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:51 AM

    Oh WOW! says I. Erica you are amazing and as Hill says 'so is that thing you made'. I also love the chair as is or updated. Super work!
    Love you, mom
    PS Happy Belated Birthday Dan!

    ReplyDelete