Friday, April 15, 2011

Timeline: Thirteen through Sixteen

(Zero through Five can be found here, Six through Twelve here.)

1998, age 13: Two of my closest friends from elementary school have gone to different junior highs. One of the girls I never see or hear from again. The other girl and I will resume our friendship in high school. Heidi and I are in the same class pattern. In Language Arts, we trade book reviews to hand in, cutting the required amount of reading and homework in half. I am the only girl in Mr. Sanduski's shop class.

1999, age 14: I have found a great group of girls to hang out with. We all go to the same church and school. The 4 of us start a small group that we call SPAM - support, prayer, accountability & mentoring. I don't know where we got mentoring from. Later, 3 other girls join our group. Breaks in the choir room at school often find us trying to convert our Mormon friends. After the summer, we stop our SPAM meetings. I start working in the school canteen at lunch the following year.

2000, age 15: I finish grade 9 with a terrible haircut. That summer, I am on LITE Force at camp. This experience changes me. At the end of the summer, I am left wondering if I will ever experience community like that again. I will. In September I join the student leadership team at youth. In October I am baptized.

2001, age 16: I get braces in January. I fail my drivers test twice, both times because of unsafe left turns. That summer, I go on a mission trip to build a house in Tijuana, Mexico. Our team drives in two 15 passenger vans. At the training week in LA, a guy from another youth group eats a red ant on a dare and has to go to the emergency room. Our group is the best at doing dishes cleanup at the training facility; we all know how to operate a commercial dishwasher thanks to the summer camp we've all worked at. I find community again in the girls on the mission team. When school starts, I get a job at IGA. I am among the first of my friends to work. I love the independance that a paycheck and a license affords me.

3 comments:

  1. Hillary9:11 AM

    Erica.
    I actually learned something about you in this! I had no idea you cheated your way through book reports! And, I also did not know you worked in the canteen at school. You were resourceful! (unlike your sister, who had no desire to make money if she did not have to!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your timelines! I also learned a little bit about you. Like you finishing grade 9 with a terrible haircut. Didn't we all. I like how you write and you made me smile. I think I will do one of these for my blog one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:30 AM

    .... a little cheating here and there... terrible haircuts... wonderful friends... I think we can all relate.... Nice blog, thanks for sharing.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete