Sunday, June 08, 2008

to Dan

Suddenly, it's been a year.

One year ago today, I woke up at 7:30 AM, and the house was quiet. Mom & Dad had gone for breakfast with the relatives and Hillary, Mike and Lindsey were still asleep. I watched Breakfast Television because it was a Friday. Someone delivered a tray of baked goods - muffins, cinnamon buns, bagels. I couldn't get the tray open, even though I was hungry, so I had to wait for Hillary to get up so she could help me open it. I don't recall seeing Mike in our house that entire morning.

The cousins came over while Lindsey was doing my hair. It was a brief visit, but I am glad they were there. Then Heidi was over, and Jenn was taking photos and Lindsey was doing our makeup. We laughed a lot.

Then came the last moment of singlehood. You stood on the neighbors lawn and I snuck up behind you. This was it. No more goodbyes. No more driving for hours to see each other. No more sleeping in our own beds.
One family. One home. One bed.

Next thing I knew, we were married.

It's been a good year, although a difficult one. One full of changes. Finished school. Moved. Changed my name. Started a career. Hung out with you on a permanant basis.
We still drive a lot of kilometres. We still say goodnight. You still don't get over onto your side of the bed. You still always want to be in the same room with me. Just now you were kissing my face so I couldn't see what I was typing.

"Love is a marathon, when it's good, it's a long, open road."

We still have our whole lives ahead of us. You are a good husband Dan. And I love you. Probably more now, than I did 365 days ago.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:57 AM

    Lovely! Dan is a lucky man.
    Thanks for the reminder of the fun we had June 8, 2007.
    Congrats on your anniversary.
    Loving you both, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me teary eyed just a bit. What a fun day that wedding was. And it was just the beginning of something even better.
    I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so nice...I liked it!
    And I like that you finally got to use the photo with the one...and you said you never would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys look really happy together!! Don't you just love facebook and blogs? I love catching up with people! So graduated, married, and living in abortsford? You've been busy! So what do you do? My husbands name is Daniel too. Feel free to check out our blog at danielandjessicaedwards.blogspot.com
    Hope all is going well with you!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. this made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:45 AM

    Hi ERica, Well written as always, and indeed, it made me cry too. Blessings to both of you.
    love you,
    auntie rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate Grovom2:43 PM

    Well said!

    Happy almost second year :D

    Glad I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete