Wednesday, April 30, 2008

forward and back

Many of the people that have wandered in and out of my life over the years have resurfaced with the advent of Facebook. I love that I can connect with someone I haven’t talked to in so long and find out what they are up to. What I love even more is that we are typically intelligent, well-informed, and more experienced individuals. People that I thought were ignorant or annoying or a snob or a loner or whatever label I put on them back in the day no longer fit into the category I had once filed them in. (I hope this is mainly because my perspective has changed, and because I no longer know everything) We have all changed over the years. And I think I would really like a lot of these people again now that we are all older.

One girl who worked in the concession with me in grade 9 (seriously, who was I to label anyone back then????) is currently in Lima, discovering Peru as a solo traveler.

The girl that was so awkward for years in elementary school went on to get a full ride volleyball scholarship and is now trying to get into med school.

The boy who always borrowed my #7 peacock blue pencil crayon in grade 4 is living in Germany and getting paid to play soccer.

A girl I always found too impassioned about everything throughout jr. high and high school has worked on a political campaign.

The shy girl I shared my first plane ride with in grade 11 is learning to be a pharmacist.

Others are graduating with their Masters. Getting married. Seeing the world. Starting companies. Having babies. Buying houses. Growing up.

I like it.

3 comments:

  1. I like this blog...and I like that I know who most of the people are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it too, erica. i mean, i have NO idea who you're talking about, but i like how we grow up and shed those high school labels. it's good. oh, and i thought you DID know everything. we're duerksen's remember?? we rule. (and know everything).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:54 AM

    I like it too! Growing up is great and the best part is that each day we discover things about ourselves that we didn't even know.
    Have fun today. Love mom

    ReplyDelete