Saturday, February 09, 2008

February

In grade 2, or maybe grade 1, maybe both, every week my class would sit in front of the poem board where Mrs. Bingham had about 4 or 5 poems written on big pieces of paper that were laminated. Some had drawings on them, too, if the poem was a short one, and some of the poems took up two big pieces of paper, because they were so long. The poems would change each month or so, when we started a new theme. There were dinosaur poems and poems about birds, poems on colours or cowboys or trees or whatever. We recited the poems as a class - twenty some 6 or 7 years olds following the words with a pointer stick that had a yellow tip on it. My favorite poem was always this one, from Chicken Soup With Rice by Maurice Sendak....

In February it will be my snowman’s anniversary,
With cake for him and soup for me!
Happy once, happy twice, happy chicken soup with rice.

3 comments:

  1. oh Mrs. Bingham! your teacher for 2 or 3 years right?? or so it seemed at the time! yes that's a classic poem. love the new background, too. that website is good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mrs. Bingham. Did you actually remember this poem, or you found it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:51 PM

    Ohhh... that is so cute. Too bad I don't teach a grade that children will actually remember me........I do not remember a thing from kindergarten - how about you??? Sometimes I think about that and I get all ticked that I do all this stuff for them, and they may not have a single memory.......

    julie

    ReplyDelete