Tuesday, January 29, 2008

a trip to the library

Since I haven't been working for the past 2 months (I'm going back Monday!) I have had some time on my hands. I've come across some good books lately and thought I would share them here. Happy reading!

Title: Snowflower & The Secret Fan
Author: Lisa See
Genre: historical fiction
Summary: Snowflower and Lily are girls growing up in China, back when footbinding was the thing to do. They become “secret sisters” and their lives are forever intertwined. This book tells their story – their lives, their companionship, and most of all, their secrets.

Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
Author: Mark Haddon
Genre: fiction/comedy/humanity
Summary: Christopher is an autistic boy with an interesting perspective. Written completely from his point of view, this story is about his life as a 15 year old. A very fun and easy read, but also a story that stays with you and makes you think. It’s very real.

Title: White Oleander
Author: Janet Fitch
Genre: fiction/slightly disturbing
Summary: This story follows a girl through several foster homes in California. Her story is heart wrenching, dramatic and funny all at the same time.

Title: Cockeyed
Author: Ryan Knighton
Genre: memoir
Summary: Ryan grew up in Langley, BC. He started to go blind when he was 14. Although I have just started this book, it already makes the list. He is witty and has a very real perspective on his blindness, and how it won’t get him down.

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Author: Khaled Hosseini
Genre: historical fiction
Summary: This is the story of Miriam and Lily. They are two women who’ve grown up in different parts of Afghanistan, in different social classes, and whose lives are fated together. Much of the story takes place around 2000 – 2004, and it’s mind boggling to think about what was actually happening just a few years ago in Afghanistan. A great read.

Title: Plain Truth
Author: Jodi Piccoult
Genre: fiction/mystery
Summary: What happens in an Amish community when one of the youth gets pregnant? Find out in this story, which brings an Amish girl’s repentance and the American justice system together in an unusual way. (I will warn you, I found this book a bit slow, and it had some annoying characters, but overall was a pretty good book.) Also, I discovered it was made into a movie in 2004. It was on tv just a few days ago. I didn't watch it.

Title: The Glass Castle
Author: Jeannette Walls
Genre: memoir
Summary: You will not believe this is a true story. It follows a nomadic family who seems like they have deliberately chosen to live in poverty. Jeannette is one of the middle children in a family of six, and her life is constantly a struggle – often they are without food, water or electricity, and even more often the children are the ones taking care of their alcoholic father and “artist” mother. Quite the read.

Title: When All You Have Is Hope
Author: Frank O’Dea
Genre: memoir
Summary: This story is about one of the co-founders of Second Cup. Curiously, before he came into his success, he was a homeless alcoholic in his 20’s living on the streets of Toronto. (Alright, I liked the first part of this book, which was about his growing up and his decline to homelessness, but the second half put me off, as it was entirely about how great he was. Still an interesting read, but be prepared for a bit of arrogance toward the end.)

Title: Adam’s Peak
Author: Heather Burt
Genre: fiction
Summary: This story is about two neighbor kids, Rudy and Claire, whose lives almost never intertwine, yet inexplicably do. Set half in Sri Lanka and half in Montreal, this book reveals the lives of some late 20-somethings and the never ending thought that they are going nowhere in life. Interesting read, though I just made it sound boring – but I can’t give it all away!!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:20 AM

    my computer would not let me vote.
    I don't see a line for a frozen boot, so I'll just list it here.
    I love you
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:38 PM

    Many thanks.....I was just thinking that it was time to go to the library and find a good winter read. Rick Mercer's "The Book" is about as smart as I am these days......
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestions, I think it will be nice to just sit down and read once I am all moved in and have no friends here!
    Also I like the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you have this post. I was going to do a post exactly like this. wierd. Perhaps I still will. and I need to post a new one. i know. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:20 PM

    Hello lovely lady. So glad that your library is pulling through for you even though it could no possible way be as good as 'my' library!
    We are counting the days until we get to have a visit (Dad is doing the actual count and then he reports to me the number, but I wasn't listening when he gave the report)!
    Lots of love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:32 AM

    morning Erica! Thanks for the update on reading material! You could do that regularly, I'm sure and it is always nice to know what others are reading and enjoying or not. I have read and actually own the Glass Castle. Quite the story, I might add. Glad that your library can help keep you occupied.
    Love you.
    auntie rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post erica! i will be sure to write these down and look for them. i've read a few of them, but i'm always up for a re-read! i'll have to think about some books i've read lately to share, but i'm ashamed to admit, most of my reading has been chick lit lately. why do i do it? i don't know. love you lots.

    ReplyDelete