Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Learning is Fun!

I can't believe it's been a week already, more in fact, since I last posted. Blogging has become somewhat less fun since the picture adding part of it can't happen around here. Oh well, I will still try my best to keep the masses informed. I use the term "masses" lightly.

Anyway, I got the job! I called on Tuesday morning, and on Tuesday around lunch got a call back and around 2 I went in for my first day! So it's been a bit of a whirlwind, but pretty good so far. They use a different program from what I learned at SAIT, so even though I had had some exposure to this drafting software, there is still a learning curve. And of course every office has it's own stuff to learn anyway. So those things have been difficult, along with learning how to have a full time job that wasn't at camp where you can (and are encouraged) to go play for a while if you want. I like my boss and the two other people I work with. They are all really nice and welcoming etc.

Cake class numero duex (how DO you spell "two" in French? or Spanish? This is why I did not take a Language class..ever) was last night. Quite enjoyable. We learned how to pipe stars and curving lines, zigzags and dots, outlines and letters. It was harder than I imagined, but also fun. Dad, I LIKE going to cake class! Being taught something new, (I realize now that I am old enough to appreciate it) is something I really enjoy. I decorated a cake with a fall theme...yellow cake with chocolate icing and then I did leaf shapes on top and filled them in with stars. I took a picture of it to document not only my first "Wilton" cake, but also how much I still suck! Because obviously my next ones will be phenomenal and will win prizes and medals.

Dan and I have been watching The Office lately. We bought season 3 on DVD last week and have been enjoying the episodes in preparation for season 4, which starts sometime I assume. Oh The Office, how I love thee.

Here is a point of interest...
As of tomorrow I will have 6 email addresses. One work (brand spanking new), two personal (one I don't use, but is handy for junk and signing up for things online etc), one I put on my resume, one with Telus, one from SAIT.
That is a disgusting amount of email addresses. Oh well.

Does anybody have some book suggestions? I am due for a library visit on Friday and need to have some titles to look for...

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:50 AM

    Finally, school that you like! Maybe we should have put you in cake school when you were 5, but then you would not have had Mrs Bingham. Unless she taught cake school.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erica, I creeped onto your blog from Hillary's. :) I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" (at least I think that's what it's called - it's the new one by the author of "The Kite Runner"), I also love "The Glass Castle", "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", "White Oleander", "Wicked", "Long Walk to Freedom" - Nelson Mandella, "Travels with Charlie", "The Giver", "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime", "Sophie's World"...I think that's enough for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heidi M. Lindskog1:04 PM

    On a slightly random note, now that you have a job, does that you get satelite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok. "A thousand splendid suns" is good. So is "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." Why can't I remember what I read.
    I miss you.
    And I have a funny (even though not at the time funny) story for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:42 AM

    Hi Erica.
    I always wanted to decorate a cake so that it looked good, but that never happened. Very pleased that you will succeed in that task!
    Hope you find a good book to read. Could the library staff offer a suggestion? Although I know you can never tell with those library workers!!!!
    Picture or NO - still fun to read about what's happening in your neck of the woods.
    Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the job! mom was telling me about it last week, about drafting an office for a hog barn (??) and designing a room for a dog? it takes all kinds, doesn't it? still i am proud of you and am impressed that you are now a professional! i know you will do great! do you have to wear dress up clothes to work? and no, i don't mean rifling through the Tickle Trunk every morning!! glad you are enjoying the office, let me know when it starts on TV there, somehow i'll have to find a way to see it over here! oh and you're right, the UK version of it sucks compared to the American version. nice job on cake decorating, glad it's fun! oh book suggestion: "The Time Traveller's Wife" (Audrey Niffenegger) but i know i told you about this one before, so if you haven't read it...read it! although it is a bit weird, but i think you can appreciate that. ok, longest comment ever. love you. miss you. have fun at work on monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What!?!
    The UK version of the Office did not suck. It was brilliant. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't enjoy the UK version so much. What little I saw of it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Hi Erica, Congrats on the job. Does this mean you go into work everyday? Whenever shall you find time to decorate cakes and paint chairs??? And by the way, I can hardly wait to hear about the prizes and medals that will be coming your way. Really, I think that is a grand skill to have under ones belt (so to speak). Oh, also, I love the way you write.
    auntie rose

    ReplyDelete