Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This morning I went up to ask the man upstairs if he could please turn down the thermostat since it was probably around 25 degress in my tiny basement suite. Seriously. He did so willingly, and then as I was heading back downstairs to finish getting ready for the day he asked me what my name was and if I was new. I looked at him strangely and said I had lived there for two years.

Here are the reasons why I am so anxious to move out of 1503:

1. I have no control (or VERY little) over the temperature of my surroundings.
2. Our "pantry" also contains the furnace and hot water tank, pretty much making null our attempt to store food in a "cool and dry place"
3. My room measures about 7.5 feet cubed. The window into that room is about 18" by 1'. If there was ever a fire, which seems pretty likely considering the average temperature of my apartment, and since my clothes get blasted with furnace air all day every day, and if I was in my room at this time, it's pretty unlikely that I could get out. Plus this window is at the top of the 7.5 foot cube, so getting up there might be difficult.
4. I don't want a roommate anymore. And having a husband is different that having a roommate. I would think anyway.
5. The entire house is paper thin. At night sometimes when I am lying in bed I can hear upstairs man talking on the phone, and I can't just hear murmers, I can clearly hear his half of the conversation. I can also hear him use his microwave at approximately 11:30 every night, and can hear his footsteps at 6:15 every morning while he wears shoes that clack on the linoleum floor that is right above me. The floor joists also squeak, but only in that corner of the house. Wonderful.

I wonder why I've taken so long to complain about this?

So the countdown is on. 24 more days living in my current residence.

I also get to quit my job this week. I have worked at Shoppers Drug Mart both years I while attending SAIT, and there is nothing that would keep me there past the 21st of April. I pretty much despise it, but the weekend (read part time) staff are ok people, so actually being at work isn't too terrible, it's really just the dealing with the public I don't enjoy. That and wearing pants that are too tight in the waist (and I mean waits, not hips, so these things are higher than normal pants), tapered, are too short and and cause thigh chaffing.
I am working this Easter weekend because of the hours, for one, and because I will get paid time and a half for the holiday days. Hopefully that will be motivation enough to at least be semi friendly to the customers. Like I care.

Going back to complaining, I was watching Oprah last week and saw something about a pastor whose church was promoting a "Complaint Free World". They had these bracelets (those rubber ones, like LiveStrong) that said "Complaint Free World" and you were supposed to wear it for 21 days without complaining, and if you couldn't do it you had to switch arms and start over again. I thought this was interesting, but would it really work? I doubt it. People are too self centered for something like this to become a world wide movement. I haven't really looked into this though, so what do I know?

This concludes my procrastinating for today.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Oh Erica, you make Dad and I laugh. We just read your complaints and had a good laugh. So glad that the apartment countdown is on and you get to move out.
    I do think a husband is not like a 'roommate', but more like, well a husband. Fun times!
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah for leaving basement suites! and yes for "fun times!" with a husband. oh auntie barbie! keep smiling during this easter weekend ok?? wish you were here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, all I can say is, I understand completely!

    ReplyDelete