Tuesday, October 17, 2006

shoe box gifts

Today I filled a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child through the Samaritans Purse organization.


Operation Christmas Child delivers Christmas gifts to kids in war torn and third world countries. This year they are delivering shoe boxes to Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Haiti, Guinea, Ivory Coast and Senegal. Shoe boxes are filled with toys, games, school supplies, personal hygiene items, candy, hair clips, dolls etc.

I've been packing a shoe box since grade 5 I think, which was 11 years ago. One of my elementary school teachers made it a club first, and then a school wide project, and I remember it being fun to wrap boxes and go to the dollar store to get stuff to put in my box. I was even on the news once in Lethbridge for Operation Christmas Child, and in the paper, on the day our school was collecting all the boxes. It also happened to be Crazy Christmas Hair Day that day, so I had garland and Christmas ornaments in my hair. Operation Christmas Child definitely holds some great memories for me - many of my elementary school friends were also involved and so we would all bring our lunches to school on Thursdays and do whatever we needed to do for Operation Christmas Child. Each year since then I have enjoyed putting a box together, and I hope I can continue to do so in the years to come with my own family.
If you would like more information on Operation Christmas Child, click here.
(Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated or associated with Samaritans Purse, I just like the Operation Christmas Child program.)


Another great Christmas giving program is called Living Gifts through Ten Thousand Villages. Click here to find out about Living Gifts.

4 comments:

  1. remember that Christmas video of us making those shoe-boxes in Sunday School? Ha, and the whole church saw it? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Erica, excellent post and thanks for reminding all of us that Christmas is about giving. Hope to see you soon. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Erica. In my life I forgot about operation shoe box. Perhaps I will get together my own box to send. Looks like a good little box. I hope the child who recieves it is blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Sam's purse. I was quite closely associated with them while I was in Kenya because my friend's husband is the East African director. So whenever they had groups of women come over from Canada I had to be their tour guide. So fun!

    ReplyDelete